Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My courses for Fall-Winter 2010-11


My sabbatical is not over yet. I am still on reduced pay; I still have projects to work on; I can still ignore most of the e-mail that comes in on my work address. The warning signs are there.

Last night late, I got an e-mail message indicating that the registrar's office had finalized the schedule for fall and winter classes. This is serious stuff.

If anyone cares, here's my schedule.

HIST 3805 -- History of Islamic Civilization -- Monday 12:30-2:00; Wednesday 2:00-3:30

HIST 4505 -- Topics in Medieval History (Chivalry and Warfare) -- Tuesday 12:30-3:30. A seminar for fourth-year undergraduates.

HIST 5126 -- European history seminar (Medieval Historians)-- Thursday 12:30-3:30. A seminar for Masters of Arts students, Fall semester only.

The odd scheduling of HIST 3805 is not a mistake; the University is experimenting with more flexible scheduling formats. We will see how it works out.

HIST 5126 is my first official graduate course. Our MA program is quite new. Exciting!

Image: a model of our new library, which is almost done.

4 comments:

Curt Emanuel said...

Steve,

Sorry we didn't get the chance to touch base at Congress. Paul told me we passed right by you. I'll try to do better next year.

Janice said...

We're trying the flexible scheduling system, too, though it isn't breaking up any of my fall courses. On the other hand, teaching the later medieval survey at 5:30-7 p.m. isn't an ideal timeslot. We'll see how it goes.

Enjoy your M.A. course -- what do you think you'll tackle with this wide-open option?

Steve Muhlberger said...

@MHG: I'm sorry, too.

@Janice: Since it's just a one-term course for students who are there for breadth (no past or future medievalists), I am concentrating on just 3 writers: Gregory of Tours (early MA, bishop, satirist); Matthew Paris (high MA, monk, Mr. Multimedia); Jean de Joinville (knight, crusader, layman, vernacular writer).

@myself: another serious sign -- a student just wrote me to see what the 4th year seminar is about.

Unknown said...

Those courses look tasty. Hope your MA students turn out to be good writers, with the spunk to offer real arguments!