Pages

Chivalric Questions

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Actually cutting and pasting

Grad student Tanya Roth, no stranger to the tools of the computer age, sometimes takes out the scissors and starts hacking away:

My grad school colleagues know me as someone who uses a number of digital processes for the dissertation project. ...

Maybe that’s why my advisor seemed surprised when I told her about my other hacking process…the literal cut-and-paste process I use when I’m editing chapters. This is the part where I hack the printed pages into pieces... I fell into this practice as a college freshman when I took my school’s comp 101 class. Back then, it was just a 10-page paper, but it worked. I cut the draft into paragraphs, numbered each, and wrote notes on the sides of each paragraph – sometimes editing sentences, but other times just noting what the theme of the paragraph was so I could rearrange content more effectively.

I did the same for my undergrad thesis, and the whole process has reemerged periodically during the dissertation stages. For all my digital processes, I can’t deny that this cutting and pasting works for me: it gives me the ability to visualize the whole piece a little better because I can see more than just one or two pages on the screen. I can try out what it will look like/sound like to rearrange paragraphs.

There's more, in this post and in others.

I like the idea of seeing the whole chapter laid out:


I don't know if it would work for me, but it might be worth a try.

3 comments:

  1. Well now - what an interesting concept. Not sure where I'd find the floor space but if I move some furniture around it might be worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:59 pm

    I used to do the same thing, and then I discovered a computer program called Scrivener, which lets you set up a virtual cork board and do the same thing. (Sorry, I tried to put in a screenshot, but couldn't figure out how.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:10 pm

    I like the sound of this. It seems to have a weak spot where content needs to be blended into an existing paragraph, but maybe my writing just isn't as disciplined as Ms Roth's. All the same, the whole-piece view is appealing; this is why I often do one editing run on paper for something I'm sending out, it's easier to compare two parts of it against each other.

    ReplyDelete