Friday, January 20, 2006

The language Pocahontas spoke -- recreated

The New World, a Hollywood film about English-Native contact in what's now Virginia, is opening this weekend, though not, to my frustration, in North Bay. I am keen to see it -- the writer/director, Terrence Malick, made one of the most memorable movies I've ever seen, Days of Heaven (also the Thin Red Line). Now I've got another reason: according to an article in the Globe and Mail, the New World will feature a carefully re-created version of the Algonquin language of pre-settlement Virginia for the Native dialogue.

Historians often complain that filmmakers are very careless about historical truth, and it's a justified complaint, though pretty much a futile one. Then something like this comes along...

For another astonishing attempt to do things right, I always recommend Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Apply to me in person to have your ear talked off about the virtues of this movie.

No comments: