Friday, March 09, 2007

300

I was rather looking forward to the new movie of the last stand of the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae (the pass is above), under the impression that it was being made from Steven Pressfield's novel Gates of Fire, which I rather liked. I learn from a review at the Washington Post by Stephen Hunter that the basis of the movie is Frank Miller's graphic novel 300, and according to Hunter, looks like it:

It's entirely an overblown visual document with an IQ in the lower 20s. It doesn't even bother to mention the strategic context of the Battle of Thermopylae...

Boy, do I not need to spend my money on that. But of course most filmmakers have given up trying to get people in my age group (over 25, over 21 on bad months) into the theaters.

I admit I would have loved the monster CG recreation of the Battle of Helm's Deep at an earlier time in my life, but in future viewings of The Two Towers I may be forced to fast forward.

I wonder if I can find a copy of The 300 Spartans?

No comments: