Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sauna to go: North speaks to north

For the last few days I've been in the Big Smoke (otherwise known as Toronto, Ontario). I just returned home today. As we drove Highway 11 North, we were looking for the yurt we saw on a previous trip. And indeed we saw it, at a Muskoka-area outlet called Paddle Shack. (They claim the yurts are Mongolian, which makes me a bit sad -- I thought this was the great Yakutian break-out.)

Before we reached the Paddle Shack, however, we saw another northern custom imported to Canada. Not one that's at all new, really, since Finns abound here, but I've never seen it in this form.

Someone had taken a couple of immense wine barrels, converted them into saunas, and put them on wheels. Voila, rent-a-sauna, or more precisely, Sauna to Go.

Unfortunately, no picture or web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment