Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Big pile of books


Today I looked in my physical mailbox at the university and found it full of a big pile of physical books:

  • A copy of one volume of a new edition of a world history text book that I used back when I taught world history.  It's big, heavy, and looks expensive.
  • Dark Age Bodies:  Gender and monastic practice in the early medieval West.  Could be good, but why was it sent to me? (Mystery solved!  A colleague wandered by and it turned out to be meant for him.)
  • A guide to writing, research and editing that I guess I asked for.  I rather like its approach to illustrating how references and formatting work.  But is it worth the department's time to change from our old faithful?  (Said colleague wonders the same.)
And then:

  • The Secret History of Democracy, containing my article "Republics and Quasi-democratic Institutions in Ancient India." !!!
Do you think, just maybe, that Palgrave Macmillan is happy to have such a title coming out right now? They will be laughing all the way to the bank, not to mention the trade shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment