Sunday, May 20, 2012

Fun times crossing the border


There haven't been a lot of fun times crossing the border in ten years, but on my way to Kalamazoo for the International Congress on Medieval Studies, I shared a light-hearted moment with a border guard.

He asked me where I was going and I replied that I was attending a conference on the Middle Ages.

He asked for more detail, and I said we studied the entire Middle ages.

"So," he said, "you're going to sit around and watch Game of Thrones."

I laughed and said, "That might be an idea, because I am an episode behind."

Straightfaced, he went on: "Because the Middle Ages were exactly like Game of Thrones."  And with a look he waved me on.

3 comments:

  1. That's funny. I still get people asking me if I'm going to dress up in armor whenever I mention where I'm going. I've been asked by people to give presentations on this when I describe it as my interest and I tell them that's fine, but for the most part what I have to talk about is reading books. I do this to give them an "out", which they almost always take me up on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience crossing the border for a political science conference. I told him my paper was about electoral reform in Canada. He asked me why a bunch of Americans would be interested in that. I explained that there were a lot of interesting things (citizens assemblies etc.) that could be tranferred to the American context. He then asked me if I was coming in to change the way Americans vote, and I had to explain that it was academic research, I had no intention on coming in and telling Americans to vote ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! This summer, after coming across to have lunch with you guys, I was grilled by a bored U.S. border guard (in the Nexus lane, no less!) about whether I was the owner of the car I was in, what my license plate said, and why I had been in Canada. I said "I was in Windsor to have lunch with an old friend." He leaned into the car window, looked at me with great seriousness, and said "How old was he?"

    ReplyDelete