Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Tim Moran sent this message about many people's defective sense of historical time. I know what he means:
I keep seeing postings pop up about "Hundred-year-old recipe makes perfect soup!" or "100 year simple home medicine cures diabetes." Folks, a hundred-year-old recipe was probably written by somebody wearing Gatsby fashion sitting at a typewriter in a steam-heated and electrically-lit room. These are not parchments left by apple-cheeked crones compiling secret knowledge using oak-gall ink in their forest huts. These are from one grandmother ago who probably shopped at Sears. Get over the idea that 1923 tomato soup was ancient wisdom!
Not to mention the way to handle diabetes was probably in all the newspapers, even the cheap ones. I admit that I steam when I see such...disinformation.

But I will admit that I sometimes I have a problem relating one set of historical markers with another, say (fictional) Sherlock Holmes' hey day (1895) with 2023, I might first think the world's greatist detective is in "the last century" before I recall where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment