Tuesday, August 13, 2024

The decline and fall of the American Empire -- and what I'm doing now

I have not been posting recently because I don't feel I have much to offer about current events. When I switched my emphasis to current events, it was because the situation was so dire and few people besides Umar Haque were aware of reality, so I posted links to the few worthwhile analyses I ran across. Well, Umar is still writing good stuff, but he's not alone. Have a look at this post by Matthew Hoh. An excerpt:
This week marks the 75th anniversary of the signing of the Geneva Conventions, an attempt by the world's nations to restrain and prohibit the horrors and terrors of modern warfare. The victors of World War II were the authors. Somehow and in some way, after the destruction and death of WWII, humanity had to progress. The Geneva Conventions were the world's attempt to do so. As this anniversary is marked, the United States is seemingly doing everything possible to demean, diminish and demolish the world's work 75 years ago. The US political and diplomatic protection of Israel, the mass supply of money and munitions by the US to a well-understood genocide, and a willingness and ease to lie by US civilian, military and diplomatic officials out of loyalty to what is politically expedient and advantageous rather than a duty to law and treaty commitments, makes it clear to the world the profound degree of cynicism and dishonor that characterize the American state. Direct and indirect violations of international law by the US are not confined to its current support of Israel but span the actions of successive US administrations across the globe. A view of the US as an outlaw or rogue state, in light of its flagrant disregard for international law, is held by many throughout the world, and such a charge cannot be dismissed for lack of evidence. The war crimes the US is openly supporting and subsidizing do not just carry a moral penalty but a practical consequence, contributing to a rush by the nations of the world to escape US hegemony. The decline and dismantling of the American Empire is hastened by the US' own deliberate decisions and actions. To do justice in telling our imperial tragedy, we need the likes of an Aeschylus, a Gibbon or a Vidal.
My interest in Hoh's post is increased by the last line of the excerpt:To do justice in telling our imperial tragedy, we need the likes of an Aeschylus, a Gibbon or a Vidal. The reference to Gibbon, a towering figure in the historiography of the Middle Ages as much as the Roman Empire, strikes me because I have been thinking about the Middle Ages -- and writing up my interpretations. I will be sharing some of my thoughts here, to give any of my readers who have come here looking for medieval stuff, some of that medieval stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment