Friday, April 13, 2007

World War II veterans

In the last couple of days I have had the opportunity to talk to veterans of World War II, one with experience in Europe, another who hopped from island to island in the South Pacific. Both of them had medals that they haven't had a chance to talk about for years. ("I don't know why I got that medal. I didn't do anything. I didn't save anybody. I just survived.")

Let me urge any students who may be reading this, or anyone else, to take a moment to sit down with people you know who experienced the war or any other fascinating past event, and let them talk. Don't restrict yourself to warriors, either. There are plenty of other kinds of stories.

You will kick yourself in later life if you don't do this while you still can.

Image: German prisoners captured at Anzio, Italy, in 1943.

No comments:

Post a Comment