Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The Good Duke, brought to you by the magazine Medieval Warfare



Medieval Warfare is a popular but substantial illustrated historical magazine published in Rotterdam every two months.  Today the most recent issue landed in my mailbox.  As usual, it is a beauty.  Could I be prejudiced by the fact that issue VIII.3 contains an article by me, The Good Duke: A Personal Golden Age of Chivalry?

Could be!

The article, like much of my writing over the last few years, uses the reputation of Duke Louis of Bourbon, a cousin of the French kings during the first half of the Hundred Years War, to explore what chivalry meant at that time.  I am especially interested in how the intense personal ties between princely warlords and their loyal followers made possible "chivalry."


No comments:

Post a Comment